I often catch myself wanting to peep into the future. I wonder what will happen if…and yet, that craving of what the future will hold is as old as mankind itself. Leviticus 19:21 is very clear about seeking to want to know the future: “Do not turn to mediums or seek our spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the Lord your God.”
Why then do I want to know the future? Is it to relieve the pressure or will it help me to change direction once I know what the future holds? Surely FAITH is too precious a treasure to trade for KNOWLEDGE?
When God gives me a task to fulfill or a vision to embark on, He then unrolls it like a scroll, little by little, step by step. First, the small steps, and as the scroll unfolds the steps, the tasks get bigger and bigger, according to my obedience. And then, then we see wonder upon wonder unfold…and we will be amazed.
As I page through one of my daily devotional books I start seeing a trend of God’s guidance, encouragement, and grace, expelling fear and doubt about what the future holds. Here are some of the key words that have guided me along the way.
- You must ponder on these truths I give you. They are not surface facts, but the secrets of My Kingdom, the hidden pearls of rare price.
- Seek My wonderful truths and you shall find.
- Walk with Me, I will teach you.
- Prepare the ground, prepare it as I say.
- Once I have shown you the way, it is against the tide you must direct your effort.
- I need man’s effort – he needs My blessing.
- Wait to hear My will and then obey. At all costs obey. Do not fear. Only in response to your belief can I do miracle-works now.
- Painful as this time is … you will one day see the reason for it. Help and peace and joy are here. Your courage will be rewarded.
- All your lessons cannot be learned without difficulty. Not to him who walks on, with no obstacles in his way, but to him that overcometh is the promise given.
- Your training must be severe, that your work for Me be unhindered. You seek My Presence and they who seek shall find.
- It is not the way, but the loving rejoicing in the way and the guidance, that matters with My disciples.
- You are ready for guidance but you do not rejoice as you should in the daily stones of the way.
- It is a part of My method to wait till the storm is at its full violence. Go forward unafraid. Be not afraid, Fear not. It is to the drowning man the Rescuer comes.
- Relying on your own understanding will weigh you down. Trust in Me absolutely, and I will make your path strait.
- So go forward into the future bravely, and unafraid.
So let me go forward into the future bravely and unafraid, trusting in my Lord Jesus for the year ahead. It is only when I dare to go out on the sea in ships, as merchants on the mighty, deep waters, that I will see the works of the Lord (See Psalm 107:23-24). Then I will see wonder upon wonder unfold … and I will be amazed. Let me immediately start seeking God’s truths in His Word, the secrets of His Kingdom, the hidden pearls of rare price, because He promises if I seek I shall find.